Oooh! I just love this drink, it’s not just satisfying but great and healthy for the body. Ginger drink is a Ghanaian traditional drink usually served at parties. I remember as a child there was always homemade ginger drink at any child’s party I went to. We didn’t have all these processed juice and drinks now available on the market and besides they were too expensive for the average Ghanaian. I find it very sad that these days processed drinks have taken over our traditional inexpensive yet healthy drinks. This ginger drink is made with fresh ginger which is packed with nutrients and bioactive compounds good for the body and brain. Spices such as Grains of Selim, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon are also included adding to the nutritional benefits of this drink. This ginger drink can be enjoyed chilled or warmed up as a satisfying cuppa to start or finish off the day. That’s why I call it Ginger Drink – Two ways! It can be enjoyed all year round. Do try this drink and let me have your feedback.
- 500g Fresh Ginger Peeled
- 6 Cloves
- 3 Hwentia (Grains of Selim)
- 2 Litres of Water
- 1 Cup Honey or to your taste
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- Wash and peel the ginger. If you can give it a good scrub you may skip peeling.
- Blend the ginger together with the hwentia and cloves. Add some water to help with the blending. Blend in batches if required.
- Strain the blended mixture using a colander.
- Place the chuff in the blender, add some water and re-blend. Strain again. Repeat this step until the juice runs clear from the chuff.
- Add the honey to the drink and stir well.
- Add the nutmeg and stir well.
- Add the cinnamon sticks.
- Bottle and chill the ginger drink. Serve well chilled or serve as a warm tea.