Believe it or not, I struggle with ideas for meals to cook for my family on most days. Especially food that the kids would like and eat. There’s nothing like spending time in the kitchen to cook and the kids refuse to eat at the end of it. Not a good feeling. So on days I’m struggling to decide, I usually go for one of their favorite food items and create a recipe from it. So this is how this meal idea came about, sausages! I knew they’d love sausages for dinner. I had some veggies which I bought almost a week ago and I just wanted to use it up before they went off. So thought, “ stir fry it must be then!”. My kids are sometimes funny about veggie but I knew the sausages will lure them to eat and you know what it did! They didn’t eat all the veggies but at least they ate some and tried Pak Choi. So that was a win. I hope you’ll try this for your family too. It was delicious.
- Sausages (or protein of choice) cut into bite sizes
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Medium Yellow Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Medium White onion sliced
- Handful of mushrooms sliced
- 3 Spring Onions sliced
- Thumb size fresh ginger grated
- 3 Garlic gloves grated
- 1 Scotch Bonnet deserved
- 2 Green chillies deseeded
- 1 Pak Choi (a bit of the stalk sliced)
- 1 Tsp AVK 10 Spice Blend
- 1 1/2 Tsp Chinese 5 Spice Blend
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsps Stir fry Oil
- 500g Egg Noodles
- Cook noodles as per packet instructions. For firm noodles, turn off heat as soon as it starts to boil. Strain the water but keep the noodles water.
- In a bowl, add about a cup of the pasta water. Add the oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice blend. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat up wok and add 1 Tbsp stir fry oil.
- Add 1/2Tsp 10 spice blend to the sausages and rub to coat. Fry the sausages till well done. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sprinkle the veggies with the 10 spice blend and Chinese 5 spice blend.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil to the wok the onions and toss for about 30seconds. Then add garlic, ginger, peppers, mushrooms and spring onions. As soon as it begins to get sticky, add 1/2 of the pasta water mixture from step 2.
- Add the bell peppers and Pak Choi. toss for less than a minute.
- Add in the cooked noodles and mix well. Add the rest of the pasta water mixture to create enough sauce on the noodles to your desired preference.
Serve noodle stir fry with the sausages and enjoy whilst warm.