Ayoyo soup is a green leaf soup enjoyed by tribes in the northern region of Ghana. It’s popularly served with tuo, a maize & cassava meal like dumpling. Ayoyo is the local name for Jews or Jute Mallow or Egyptian Spinach or bush okra. It’s a very nutritious leaf rich in protein, calcium, riboflavin, iron, folate and dietary fiber. It’s thought to be a super food so enjoy eating it.
- 400g Ayoyo leaves
- 1 medium Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Dawadawa
- 1/2 Tsp Kawu or Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 Stock cubes or 1 cup stock solution
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1.Blend Ayoyo leaves with 1 cup water.
- 2. Mash dawadawa with Tbsp water.
- 3. Place all ingredients in a pot except salt and boil. Let it simmer to preferred thickness. Correct seasoning with salt.
Also refer to video here for step by step