Rock buns or rockies are a Ghanaian favourite snack sold as Street food. They’re so easy to make with basic ingredients. When my kids ask to bake with me, this is one easy and quick recipe I fall on for a stress free baking. We recently baked a batch of my original Rockies and I just couldn’t stop eating. So in a bid to find a healthier version, I adapted my rockies recipe by using my homemade tigernut flour and some almond flour. It turned out really nice. I loved the fibre and crunch the tigernut flour added to the bun. I truly enjoyed it. I hope you’ll love it too.
- 125g Tigernut Flour
- 100g Almond Flour
- 100g Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 125g Cold Salted Butter
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp/30ml Evaporated Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place tigernut flour, almond flour, baking powder, dark brown sugar and nutmeg into a bowl. Mix together until well incorporated.
- Add the cold butter and using the finger tips, rub the butter into the flour until well incorporated and looks like breadcrumbs.
- In a cup, add the egg, evaporated milk and vanilla essence and whisk together.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the liquid egg mixture.
- Using a fork, mix the flour mixture until well incorporated. It should be a sticky dough. If needed add little drops of evaporated milk to get a sticky dough.
- Grease a cupcake baking tray.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop into the baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, allow it to completely cool on a rack.
Enjoy as a snack or pair with beverage of your choice